Monday 17 February 2014

INSPIRED // giant knitting


{ 1 2 3 4 }

I am naturally drawn to bulky yarn and bigger needles. Is it because the bigger the yarn the quicker the project? Maybe. But mostly because I like all things cozy.

I'm interested in the challenge of working with large needles. I can only imagine that working with large straight needles would be physically demanding - imagine how heavy they are and awkward they would be to maneuver. Considering that, I found myself fawning over these US 50 25mm circular needles a few weeks ago.

But who can really just drop $40 on a pair of knitting needles on a random Sunday evening?

My other dilemma - where am I going to get the giant yarn?

The method shown in the first link above is very lovely, but it looks like a lot of work. I watched this tutorial on creating your own giant by chaining yarns together with a crochet hook. Clever! I love the natural, fuzzy fibers so, so much though. I know these natural fuzzy fibers do not come cheap, either. A giant blanket is likely going to be an expensive endeavor. This may all pay off though as you definitely will not be knitting for as long as you would a blanket made with regular sized yarn / needles. The blanket will also be nothing short of uh-MAZING.

I've come to the only real conclusion. I need a sheep. I would be able to shear it and spin my own fabulous giant wool (and then dye it with kool-aid) and my cattle dog can herd it around the yard. Win / win.



Have you ever considered raising live stock?

No comments:

Post a Comment