Tuesday 11 February 2014

KNIT // brioche infinity scarf




In my sweet 18 months of knitting, I have made a lot of scarves. Some very long, many not long enough. Some have been too stiff, while others just hang too loose. Finding the perfect balance between warmth and loftiness + length has been an equation that has kept me up at night. It has been something that has led to many hours scouring raverly, pinterest and craftgawker. I was looking for something that looked like a rib - I love those little sideways V's - but something that wasn't a rib. Something different.

Finally, back in the fall I came across this pattern on raverly. For the love of bulky yarn, I swapped worsted weight for something heavier and the US 7 needles for US 13s. After a few cast ons and unraveling due to mistakes and missed yarn overs, I got the hang of it. And then my life was changed forever. 

The Brioche stitch is fun. It is not so complicated that you can't do it while you watch Netflix (thank GOD!). But it has enough yarning over and slip stitching to keep you interested.

The best quality of this scarf is that it falls really beautifully while wrapped around your neck. It is lofty and light. It will keep you warm when you're out walking in these winter months. But it's also light enough that you can wear it throughout your day as a hip neck accessory.

I've written out my version of the pattern below. It looks intimidating, but once you get going it is easy-peesy-lemon-squeezy.

Let's get knitting!

supplies:
2 skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (in the very rich, Dark Burnt Orange)
US 15 straight needles
Darning needle
Scissors
Measuring tape

OR 

2 skeins of Loops & Thread Charisma (the one I am wearing in the photo is in "Taupe", so perfectly neutral - it goes with everything. The one I am beginning is in "Grass". )
US 13 straight needles

(you're going to have left over yarn for both)

abbreviations:
sl - slip stitch knit wise (slip needle into stitch as if to knit, but just slide it off your needle)
sl pw - slip stitch purl wise
k2tog - knit two together
yo - yarn over

cast on 15
*always slip the first stitch*
Row 1: sl 1, *yo, sl1pw, k* repeat * until end
Row 2: sl 1, k2tog, *yo, sl 1 pw, k2tog* repeat * until 1 stitch is left, k
Row 3: sl 1, *yo, sl 1 pw, k2tog* repeat until end

Repeat row 2 and 3 until scarf is approximately 55". Bind off and leave a long tail. Invisibly seam ends together using a mattress stitch and your darning needle.

Are you confused? This is a great tutorial video to show you exactly how it is done.

Now you can gift this luscious scarf to a loved one OR keep it for yourself. It's funny, I always make garments such as these with intentions to gift them or sell them in my imaginary Etsy shop. But somehow they always end up around my neck?

What is your favorite scarf stitch?

No comments:

Post a Comment